Skip to main content

Useful Information

The Building Regulations – free copies of the Approved Documents that explain the requirements of the building regulations

The Party Wall Act 1996 – information that explains your responsibilities when carrying out work on or near a boundary

Health and Safety Executive – what you need to know if you are doing or having building work carried out

LABC (Local Authority Building Control) Partnership Scheme - Our partner authority scheme is shared by all local authority building control teams in England and Wales. You can choose to work with any local authority building control surveyor to undertake all pre-application and design work, regardless of the project's geographical location.

LABC Warranty – Having an LABC warranty in place gives the potential home buyer peace of mind that the property has been built to the highest standards. It also gives you the edge over your competitors, and provides mortgage lenders with the confidence they require to release funds

LABC Consult – LABC provides professional consultancy services in a wide range of areas, helping our clients save time and money including acoustic testing, fire risk assessments, air pressure testing and energy and sustainability services.

Robust Details (accoustic) – Details of the scheme providing an alternative to pre completion sound testing to meet Part E of the building regulations

South West Water Sewers– An agreement may be required with South West Water if you are building within 3m of a public sewer. Since 1 October 2001 most private sewers serving more than one property have been transferred to the ownership of the water and sewage companies.

Competent Persons Schemes - allow individuals and enterprises to self-certify that their work complies with the Building Regulations as an alternative to gaining approval from a building control body.

A guide to extending your home – A useful guide to the building regulations for the householder

Find a registered electrician - A register of electricians belonging to the various CPS schemes

Electrical safety guidance – A selection of guides and advice relating to electrical installations

Public access to Building Control Register - Provides basic details of Building Regulation applications for both the North and Mid Devon areas